Friday 9 June 2017

Day 09; #30DaysWild - Inspiration



Day 9 of #30DaysWild was all about inspiration. I wrote quite a long thing on my fb about it, which I shall regurgitate here.

I finished my first week in my new job as a Ranger. The only reason I wanted to work as a Ranger is because of the people I know, have volunteered with, worked with, and am now loved up with...

I started volunteering at the Lickey Hills back in 2013 when I came back from mapping. I was part of the geological conservation group. In 2015 I joined their general conservation team too, and it was there that I learned to fell a tree (thanks Penny), how to manage heathland and why, and how to install and repair fencing (didn't mean to hit your thumb with the hammer David, but look where it got us). It was and still is Steven who inspires and encourages me to be a bee nerd. It was at an ACT session that I learned I was successful in getting an interview at the Wildlife Trust for the traineeship. If it wasn't for the Lickey Hills Ranger team, I wouldn't be anywhere today. I wouldn't have learned about management, I wouldn't haven't got the traineeship, I wouldn't have learnt how to coax a cold bee onto my hand, I wouldn't have My David, I would probably still be doing shitty work.

Last year at the Trust was hard - mentally, emotionally, financially and sometimes physically. I owe a lot to it tho. Thomas has taught me loads about practical site work, tool handling and use (I was commended on my really good tamping technique yesterday), and how to negotiate with people. Natalie has inspired me to take more of an interest in birds - I wish I could identify them as well as you can, and I think your dedication is inspiring. Andy still has a lot of patience when I tweet him pictures of bugs, and I can't even begin to say how much I've learnt by being around the Trust and EcoRecord last year.


I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today without these people and experiences. You think you have no power in this world, but actually you've inspired at least one person, but probably countless more, to change their career path and learn something completely new and now land their (latest) dream job as a Ranger. Being able to pass on what I've learnt to visitors or a schoolkids is a delight, and I think this next six months at Nottingham is going to be a steep learning curve, but I'm ready for it.



Every June the Wildlife Trusts run a campaign called 30 Days Wild. This is my second year taking part, and the idea is to encourage wildness, exploration and an involvement with the natural world. The daily things can be anything, from walking barefoot, to doing outdoor yoga, or growing veg to hunting out woodlice under a stone. Little things that help you reconnect with nature! Random Acts of Wildness are also fully encouraged.